Fortnite's PUBG is going F2P on September 26. Their original plan was to make the entire Fortnite game F2P after selling early-access founders packs. And yes, in case you're confused, they also sold physical copies of the game as well. How that makes sense for a game going F2P is really beyond me, but that's our industry today.
According to the official release, squad mode is also coming 9/26. That's pretty cool.
Some of my early feedback of the "test" version is:
- The maps needs more development because it feels sparse and empty (though I get it's meant to be built up in a way)
- Vehicles would be fun (and are being conceptualized by the dev team)
- I want the map bigger if there will be vehicles and if parachuting remains the same where you travel further horizontally
- More maps and variety would be nice too which would be a welcome change over PUBG's static map
- More gun variety would be nice, and some sort of addon system to the guns to provide more depth to gun-play
Their F2P model will be rather simple at start. The game will actually be 100% free. No strings, no box price (on pc only?), no consumables. Nothing. In the future, cosmetics will be added, but they're promising "no gameplay advantage will be sold."
I like it. I've been having fun. If anyone wants to jump in on 9/26, I would use a squad to play with instead of going at it alone.