Mythic has patched Warhammer Online a few times now but none of the patches or hotfixes have been significant or changed the version number until today.Â I won’t bother listing all the changes because you can see them here on the Herald.Â I do, however, want to bring up a few points that I have observed after playing the game for several hour today.
What did it break?
- “R” No Longer Works – Looks like in the chatbox update they broke the reply feature. This has lead to a few really interesting mistells!
- Texture Resolutions – They’re borked.Â Seeing a lot of blurry textures, clay-man effects, and a complete texture draw distance scale back in capital cities.Â This was, to my knowledge, undocumented…. unless this was the “improvements to client stability and performance” lol.
- Morale Abilities – Okay, it didn’t break them but they’re still having issues being unresponsive due to what I think is an interface issue.
- Pets – Reports are coming in from all over that pets are actually behaving worse after the patch, not improved like the notes state.
What did it Fix…really Fix, not just say it fixed?
- Mob Pathing!Â Mobs are being even more responsive now and actually running away.
- Pounce – That nice bugged exploited annoying ability that the White Lions have that made them able to abuse scenario terrain and a whole lot of other things.
- Chat Box – I actually like the improvements, save for the breaking of the reply feature.Â Nicely done here.
- Healthbar fades – I’m liking the fix here.Â As a healer this caused quite a few deaths when healthbars would fade making me think people were full HP when in fact they were dying.
Now the biggest change in the patch – the Nerf the AoE Grinding (or exp gained from killing mobs in rapid succession).Â Actually, it’s not a nerf at all and anyone who claims it was a nerf is just sore that they can’t abuse it anymore.Â Plain and simple, the ability to AoE mobs in WAR as a Marauder, Magus(sometimes), Sorc, or other heavily AoE based class was astonishing.Â Marauders in our guild were in their late 30’s early last week and everyone was shocked asking “how did you level that fast?”Â People were making incredible EXP and even gold off of this AoE frenzy and it was to such an extreme that it was more than eclipsing the level abilities of other classes – it was obviously broken.Â No one should be able to level that much faster than someone else regardless.Â Now, I’m not referring to the bug where mobs instantly respawned and could be AoE’s… Mythic suspended the jerks who abused that one and rightfully so (imo a character reset is needed).
I’m very pleased with Mythic’s change to the exp gained when killing mobs in rapid succession but wish that they would reinstate the exp bonus for killing spree’s.Â There some some of us who can’t possibly AoE but can definitely benefit from being able to hit that 10% exp bonus or 20% bonus occasionally.Â Perhaps reevaluating the killing spree system and putting it back in, but certainly not leaving it out completely.
Oh, and just a note: Mythic has since removed the EXP Reduction for Killing Mobs in Rapid Succession (Or “Overkill” Reduction) because it was actually griefing legitimate players.Â Hopefully we’ll see it put back in quickly to prohibit anymore people from bursting to the top.
While I’m talking about EXP, I just want to throw out there that Mythic needs to seriously address the exp curve in the game and consider lightening it slightly.Â As it stands now people are able to finish all the quests in all pairings, grind PQ’s, and participate in Scenarios and still not be high enough level to move to the next tier.Â In a bizarre way, Mythic has almost encouraged people to abuse the AoE grinding by giving them little alternative.
Overall, the first ‘major’ patch was alright.Â I’m glad they came out of the gate strong.Â They showed that they make mistakes but at the same time they’re giving us the opportunity to see how they go about correcting mistakes.Â That will illustrate quite nicely what we can expect for the future of WAR patches.