I apologize for not posting in a few days.Â Crunch time again with five projects, five papers (totaling ~100pages), and five presentations all due within the next two weeks.Â Then it’s time to
study for take finals.Â Â There also hasn’t been much in the way of gaming news lately.
We’ve had a good discussion about GW2’s cash shop in the post below this one.Â The comments have gone rather long, but I want to sum up a few positions people are taking on the issue.
Â The Slippery Slope
- This is my position.Â I have no idea if the GW2 cash shop is going to ruin the game because it’s too early.Â I think it’s currently in the ‘gateway drug’ phase of cash shops, though, and could at any time introduce much worse.Â I’ve seen the pattern and I know how the picture unfolds.Â It can lead to a ruined game (LotRO) We shall see what happens.
The Casuals get to Spend Money and Be Awesome Too
- Some people love the idea because they believe that casual players with dispensable income will be able to overcome one of their biggest enemy: Time.
This ain’t WoW
- I personally do not understand this one at all, but it’s a heavily defended position.Â Since GW2 is so different from WoW (not my words), the cash shop can’t not be thought of in terms of anything we currently know or have seen.
GW2 is So Easy Already
- Since GW2 is quote “So easy already”, there isn’t a need for people to buy the cash shop items.Â These people say “just enjoy the game”.Â My question to them is… do you really think a cash shop in-game will go un-needed for long?
This is AMAZING!
- Some people are beside themselves with glee over the idea of a cash shop.Â They love everything about it.
Those are just a few of the positions people are taking on the subject.Â Â I’m anxious to get into the game and see how it works.Â GW2, beyond just the cash shop, is really one of those games I know that I will have to personally try in order to know how it works.Â That brings me to my question about pre-orders.
If I pre-order the digital edition from NCsoft, will I get beta access?Â Yesterday on Twitter the GW2 reps announced that if you want to get into the beta you have to order from one of the distributors on the list (Amazon, Best Buy, GameStop.Â However, NCsoft is not on the list.Â I know they’re not a retailer, but at the same time they phrased it such that it sounds just like it reads: If you want beta, buy from these three people.
The GW2 twitter people, whatever their title, were copping an attitude with people ‘sighing’ and saying read the FAQ.Â Â We could use a little less sighing about doing your job and a little more clarification.Â Based on your own poorly written tweets, your FAQ doesn’t address many of the questions.
My question (Can I pre-order the digital version from NCsoft or ArenaNet and still get beta access) was asked minutes before this appeared:
If anyone more helpful than the people whose job it is to be helpful want to clarify my question, I would appreciate it.Â Can I pre-order/buy the digital standard edition from the buy.guildwars2.com or NCsoft (whoever sells it there) and still be granted access to all beta events?Â Simple question.Â Takes seconds to answer.Â I want to spend my money correctly.