Nintendo’s Press Conference just ended and we are absolutely floored and confused. First, let all question in your mind be washed away in the awesomeness that is Nintendo because they have hands down won this year at E3. Here’s what we got:
- Zelda 25 Year anniversary brings concerts, a free copy of 4 Swords on the DSi for everyone.
- The 3DS now has HUGE momentum as it was announced that Mario Kart 3D, Star Fox 3D, Luigi’s Mansion 2, an all new Mario game designed from the ground up, and more would be coming to the system. Kid Icarus will have 3v3 multiplayer support. Mario Kart will have kart customization, underwater, and gliders. Star Fox will put in pictures of you. The third party 3DS support is growing and a dozen great games were shown. For sure the 3DS has overshadowed the PS Vita.
- Legend of Zelda and other games coming to the Nintendo eShop on the 3DS.
- Wii U announced as the NEW CONSOLE.
Now, some notes on what we saw about the Wii U. It was VERY confusing but we think we have it all sorted out for you guys.
- Wii U is the name of the console that was previously codenamed Cafe.
- We were shown the CONTROLLER for the Wii U and it was being demoed with games.
- Wii U’s controller has a screen in the middle that can continue displaying the game that was on the TV via wireless streaming even when the TV is off. It can also be used for drawing, additional items off the hud and on the controller (heartbeat sensor anyone?)
- Nintendo was very cryptic about giving any details, unfortunately to their detriment as everyone walking out was like “WTF” is going on. Tech specs are still a mystery
- Third Party support is going to be better than we have ever seen for Nintendo’s Wii U. EA is bringing Frostbite 2, Darksiders 2 is coming, a Lego GTA style game, and more. Notably, Ghost Recon ONLINE. Notice the ONLINE? That’s the free to play Ghost Recon game. ONLINE on Nintendo.
- The CONTROLLER was the focus since it is backwards compatible with the Wii and the CONTROLLER is the real focus of the Wii U since it’s what is innovative other than a new GPU/better specs in the console.
- Nintendo has confirmed that this E3 was about revealing the controller and that we will NOT see Wii U this year.
Help us make sense of what is going on here. Does this sound right with the Wii U? We got no tech specs for the system other than 1080p. We’ll continue to update this thread with what is sure to be a lot more information as Nintendo sheds some much needed light on the situation.
This actually is something quite remarkable. To have a controller like this that literally can continue to stream what you were doing on the TV blows my mind because it is exactly what we have wanted in our house for so many years. Having Nintendo actually move back into the spotlight as a respectable console for developers and not just a landfill for shovelware makes us really happy. The 3DS is worth owning now or will be when these titles come out so much so that I would own a 3DS over the Wii.
Nintendo left the Wii out this year. We saw a video clip of Skyward Sword but it wasn’t the focus. 3DS is the reason to play Nintendo games this year and Wii U will be the reason to play them in the coming years. Bravo, Nintendo. Now give us the specs on the console!