I’ve been doing the “end-game”, or what is currently available in the end-game of FFXIV, for a couple of weeks now.
The common sentiment is that Square may have rushed things a bit. To get ready for doing true end-game activities one must run the same two dungeons over and over. One of those dungeons is a story dungeon, which causes a rift between those who want to speed run and those who want to watch cutscenes.
Grinding CM and AK (the two dungeons) yields tokens which can be redeemed for gear. The gear is really only needed to complete part of the Relic Weapon quest, then advance into the only “raid” currently available: Coil of Bahamut.
Right now I’m still in the “taking it slow” phase. I run 2-3 AK’s a day (30 min each) and collect tokens to redeem for gear I’ll need to comfortably slay Titan and Garuda Hardmode.
Can it improve? Yes. I wrote only a few days ago that a variety of dungeons wouldn’t hurt. Adding two or three more would be a great start. Speeding up the Duty Finder would also go a long way.
What I’m not suggesting is enhancing the gear grind. Some people are recommending a faster vertical climb. Me? I think a nice horizontal progression would be much better. More dungeon options, lots of gear in the same tier, and a long, long time before I have to worry about replacing the gear I just worked hard to earn.
Long story short, it’s not bad. Having played on a few hours a night, I’m only a couple of weeks away from being able to do the hardest content. That’s very reasonable.
Update: Patch 2.05 is bringing a great deal of change. A lot of what has been bugging me and others about the end-game is being addressed. All the details.
- Changes will be made to the way equipment is bound.
- Introducing additional servers and enhancements to act as a countermeasure against the congestion to enter “Amdapor Keep.”
- The difficulty for level 50 dungeons will be adjusted.
- The number of areas where you can acquire Allagan Tomestones of Philosophy and Mythology will be increased as well as the amount you can acquire.
- Implementation of a population cap for each field.
- Adjustments to the spawn rate of monsters that drop diremite web and additional locations where Karakul can be found.
- The amount of experience points that can be acquired on botanist and miner, as well the experience points that can be acquired from their fieldcraft leves, will be increased.
- User interface elements related to materia and target information will be adjusted.