I received several requests to give you guys my quick thoughts on Terraria. I bought Terraria for $9.99 on Steam Tuesday and have been enjoying it every day since. Terraria is a 2D sandbox with graphics like something out of the Super Nintendo era yet souped up just a bit for today’s standards. What is the gameplay like? As their own description of the game says: “Dig, fight, explore, build!” It’s very, very similar to Minecraft in many ways. You dig dirt which yields dirt, chop trees for wood and acorns to plant more trees, break rocks to get rocks, collect ores and precious metals, but where Terraria departs from Minecraft is in the combat and action side. Beneath the sandboxy ‘build a house and live’ stuff is a hardcore platforming world of world bosses, crazy monsters, levels of hell, dungeons, and certain death awaiting you. Collect rare world drops, craft weapons and armor from either harvesting your own materials or finding them off monsters, cast spells, and explore.
Right now I’m enjoying the explore and build gameplay. I found an island in the sky with a lot of precious minerals in the soil and a chest with a balloon that lets me jump higher. I decided to build my own castle in the sky. As I’ve been building stuff and finding new areas of my 2D world to colonize, Graev and others on the server have been finding rare loot and bringing me back cool trinkets. They’ve even summoned a world boss on top of our spawn-point hotel (build by us), where we all collectively have beds and rooms to store stuff.
For $10 this is totally worth it.
* Sandbox elements let you play however you want. Build a house and never go beneath the surface or dig down to the lava pools of hell and find that flaming sword and armor.
* Crafting is fun. Gather materials and see what you get to make. Place an anvil to work on metals, an oven to smelt, a crafting table, etc.
* 2D environment makes building simple yet at the same time complex as you think of new ways to make a house, castle, base, etc.
* Lots of monsters that are difficult. World bosses are a lot of fun.
* Host your own server (I do).
* Your stuff carries over from your world in singleplayer to mutiplayer and any server you play on.
* Goblin armies invade and attack you, breaking into your house and stealing stuff.
* Night time has a chance of being a blood moon which spawns a lot of door opening zombies. Scary!
* NPC’s actually move into your house when it becomes livable enough with lights, beds, doors, etc. They sell you things.
* Eventually you’ll have every item that can be found. If you push hard enough you can get the best stuff in a few days. This diminishes replayability for those interested in the ‘get items and be cool’ gameplay. However, the ‘build a house’ players can get far more enjoyment.
* A few multiplayer glitches. Some mobs bug out. Sometimes a bazillion mobs spawn and freak out.
* When you get strong enough, things aren’t as scary. At the start a zombie scares you. Once you one-shot them they become a minor annoyance.
* Server operators could do with more controls. Right now all we can do (that I know of) is change the time of day.