Happy New Year everyone! It’s time to make some predictions about the coming year. I’ve given it a lot of thought over the past few days and narrowed it down to the following:
1. Rift – My impressions of Rift have been positive, although you may consider them tainted by the fact that I say the game is pretty standard fair. I predict that the game will launch and, as I’ve said all along, be successful for those who like themepark games but currently have nothing to play like WoW. The problem will be when GW2 and SWTOR launch and players have to struggle with this exact question: Why should I continue playing Rift? GW2 and SWTOR will offer a big enough alternative to the generic, yet lovable, Rift.
2. DCUO – Unlike Champions online, DCUO will last longer than three days. Graev enjoys the PS3 version and has shown me some great things. I thought it looked like a lot of fun on the console since it plays like an action game. I predict that it will be fun on consoles for a little while, but the lack of community will ultimately give players no reason to stick around. The PC version won’t do well.
3. GW2 – I’m predicting a very late 2011 release conflicting with SWTOR which will cause issues for both games. Something about the way the dynamic content and world has been previewed gives me a bad feeling. My instincts tell me to expect an instanced world or one that isn’t truly dynamic but instead scripted (like rifts in Rift). The PvP will be cool, for a while. It will win game of the year in the MMO circle.
4. SWTOR – Despite its use of instancing and singleplayer nature, I think SWTOR will turn out to be a lot of fun. People who go in skeptical will be pleasantly surprised — myself included. There is much to be leery about, but it will turn out to be nothing.
5. DAOC 2– Call it intuition, instincts, midi-chlorians, or just a hunch… I think we’re going to see an announcement about DAOC 2. While writing this prediction I find myself suddenly prompted to predict talks of a spiritual successor to the original UO as well.
6. 3D gaming, TV’s, and movies are forgotten – I think it’s a fad. The 3DS will sell bajillions but it won’t last. I think movies and TV’s are secretly on their way out. Something about eye cancer. That’s a joke.
7. Motion technology flops because developers finally realize real gamers prefer to sit on their butts. Need I say more?
8. Call of Duty 7… wait, are we on 8 or is it 9?
9. Mobile gaming will expand – With developers like Epic and id hard at work, it seems obvious to predict that we’re going to see something new come around. What isn’t so obvious will be the style in which they expand. I predict they’ll be less and less autonomous and be more tied to Computers and consoles. It will be like remotely connecting to your computer or console to play the games you own.
10. Cryptic’s Neverwinter – Should I try and predict an upset by saying it will be good?
11. On April 1, 2011 Blizzard will announce that Diablo 3 is launching in November.
What do you think? Let us know if you’re predicting anything interesting for 2011!