Another year has come and gone quickly for the gaming universe.Â Sometimes it feels like all these years bleed together and I can’t recall what released in 2010 or 2009 and sometimes I’m not even sure if I enjoyed this year of gaming or not.Â This is why I’m so glad that I have a website where I write my thoughts because I can look back at the end of the year and see a clearly outlined narrative.
Each year I try, like many others, to make predictions.Â It’s fun to see how close to the mark I was with my Nostradamus skills.Â Granted, some of these are obvious but some of last year’s predictions actually have a little depth to them if I twist them a bit.Â Let’s see how I did.
1. Star Trek Online – I was dead on.Â The game flopped with a resounding “bummer”.
2. SWTOR – Didn’t release this year and we did get an “after April” type announcement for 2011.Â I believe it’s avoiding Cataclysm like it should.
3. Cataclysm – This was like saying the sun will rise, but I was close to the release date.Â My prediction of some huge upset could be the Real ID fiasco.
4. Free to play Games – As much as I dislike it, I was right.Â Look at what F2P did this last year: LotRO went F2P, EQ2 has a F2P option now, WAR is offering their first tier F2P, and we are seeing them rise.Â Luckily it’s taking a back seat still.
5 & 6. We barely heard anything about Diablo 3 and weirdly SC2 seems to have not made as big of an impact as I had hoped.
7. FFXIV – This one is where I’ll twist it a bit.Â It did release in 2010, but did it?Â They’re still letting people play for free and promises of big changes as a sort of relaunch are planned for early 2011.Â In a way, I was right?
8. Global Agenda – I think I was dead on with this one too.Â The game sorta faded away and even the developers decided to make the game that should have been made by purchasing the Tribes franchise.
9. PC Gaming – We had a good year with PC games.Â There’s still great hope.
10. New Console and Zelda – We did get the Nintendo 3DS and Zelda was announced for the Wii.
Not bad if I do say so myself.
Looking back now at 2010, it wasn’t too bad for gaming as a whole.Â It certainly wasn’t bad for console gaming which is evident by the massive stack of games that Graev played through: Halo Reach, Dead Rising 2, Red Dead Redemption, Mario Galaxy 2, and the list goes on and on.Â We had Black Ops release in November for PC and console which I did not even know existed last year.Â Cataclym’s launch in December is almost unfair to count, but it still slid in.
If we look specifically at the MMO’s that released, it was another year of flops.Â Here’s a few that I know by name but there are many I don’t.
- Mortal Online – Not finished and just a shell of a game
- Perpetuum – Have any of you even heard of it?Â I can’t call it a flop but it’s on the list because it’s unknown. I like it more than EVE but 90% of you probably don’t know what it is even about.
- Star Trek Online – Just bad.
- Allods – Confirmed that F2P destroys games when it went from awesome in beta to garbage at launch.
- Global Agenda – All around Meh.
This year’s MMO crown definitely goes to World of Warcraft for being the most reliable gaming experience.Â Say what you will about the game, but even if you dislike it you can’t deny the quality it brought to the year amidst a sea of unreliability and let down.Â Despite my distaste for the path they’re taking, I would probably tip my hat to LotRO then EQ2 for reasons mentioned above.
In part 2 of my look back at 2010 I’m going to evaluate how I did on my gaming New Year’s made last year.Â We’ll also be making our predictions and analysis of particular games and their potential coming up in 2011.