[singlepic=26,320,240,,right]Yesterday’s blog downtime killed any time I had to post up a good Age of Conan topic but it gave me the chance to look around and find an article that gives a few details on Spellweaving that I hadn’t seen before. In my PvP Weekend impressions I mentioned that Spellweaving was not in the game or at the very least I couldn’t find it. It turns out that Spellweaving is still under development, but it will definitely be worth the wait.
In this article released yesterday several details about Spellweaving were affirmed:
- It gives the game’s spellcasting classes a way to significantly alter the way they deal damage
- Spellweaving is a risk to the player’s surviability – it can be lethal to the player
- Spellweaving is available for the Priest-type Tempest of Set and Priest of Mitra and the Mage-type Demonologist and Necromancer
- It’s like the stances that the Soldier Archetype use (Frenzy, Defensive, etc) that can be switched in and out of
- Spellweaving drains stamina
- Damage can be increased up to 25%
- Additional positive and negative effects that add or subtract to the caster’s overall effectiveness (read the article for a few examples)
This sounds like it’s EXACTLY what casters in Age of Conan and even other games need. AoC has already taken melee characters to the “next level” by getting them involved in a pseudo-twitch combat experience so why not the casters? Just like the days of thoughtless button mashing melee are slowly coming to an end, the days of sitting back and lobbing the same spells at your opponents over and over and coming to a close. During the PvP weekend I felt like casters in Age of Conan, more than any other game, needed something to set them apart. Spellweaving’s increase to damage, added bonus effects, and sense of unknown are going to make spellcasters a lot of fun.
Additionally the control that spellweaving gives the casters is unprecedented. The ability to scale your spells forward and go all out or play it conservatively with the 1, 2, 3, Q, and E keys adds another dimension to the spellcasting classes similar to the melee classes combos. They deserve it though. I would have felt really bad for spellcasters in AoC if they were left drooling over the presents Funcom has given melee classes.
I hope that Spellweaving provides a lot of potential for casters in sieges and PvP. Massive spells that rain destruction over the entire battlefield would really be a sight to see. I also feel that since casters are often screwed over on looks that Spellweaving should provide them all the pomp and circumstance that can possibly be afforded them. Even though I’m not going to be playing a caster in AoC I still want them, even my enemies, to really put on a show.
Kudos to Funcom on this one.