Darkfall NDA is down
February 18th, 2009
This is what happens when you have classes all day. You get home, turn on the computer, hop on ventrilo, and get spammed with “KEEN THE DARKFALL NDA IS DOWN!”
As of right now I’m in information overload. I’m reading a lot (A LOT) of positive information from all the testers now and this goes hand-in-hand with the leaks that we’ve all been reading for the past few months. I’m also getting info from contacts who are willing to talk now and they’re saying the game is in a good place right now, with some issues that MMORPGs usually face at launch, but nothing any more severe than what we’ve seen the past few years in a launch.
A few things that people need to understand when it comes to looking at Darkfall.
- It’s not for everyone. If you don’t like PvP (especially open pvp), a Sandbox Style, or a skill based system then don’t comment on Darkfall – it’s not the game for you!
- If you’re wanting the next graphical messiah and can’t stand looking at dated graphics (albeit not so bad, save for animations) then (in the words of Bartlebe) this is the game for you.
- If you get attached to your phat loots and consider your sword a status symbol, then save yourself the grief. (There is full looting in Darkfall)
- The game is not World of Warcraft. It’s not Warhammer Online. It’s not LOTRO. Honestly, it’s not like any game currently being played by this generation. It draws some influences from UO, Shadowbane, EVE and some other older PvP/Sandbox/oldschool MMORPGs. You’ve been warned.
- If you don’t like grinding then this game is not for you. You gain skills by using them. If you’re going to B.M.C. about having to raise skills by using them over time as you play then this is not the game for you. In Darkfall you can raise your skill by shooting a tree or shooting a player. I choose to shoot players. You have to work towards what you want in Darkfall – that gives it meaning and worth. Again, if you see working for something as “a grind” then you’re probably not going to enjoy Darkfall.
- If you want a Sandbox game that allows you to raise your skills by playing your way; a game that allows you to build cities and take them from enemies; become a crafter and sell your wares in a completely player driven economy; and most important if you want a game that is different in a sea of ‘the same’, then give the game a shot.
I’ve never experienced a game like this. It’s a new. It’s different. It’s not for everyone. It’s not going to be a best seller on Amazon.com and it’s not going to break any records (good or bad). It’s not going to come anywhere close to this generation’s trumped up idea of “successful” subscription numbers. BUT – there’s a good chance it’s going to be a lot of fun and at least give people a glimpse at something different.
Count me in. We’ll see how it goes and I’ll be sure to let you all know. For those interested, we’re recruiting for our Darkfall division.
Both comments and pings are currently closed.